Follow
Read More
I had a terrible time keeping my starter alive so I borrowed some from my niece-in-law (is there such a word, 🤔?). I seldom buy or eat loaf style bread and can easily make sourdough flat breads like naan, but I want to master that classic sourdough loaf, just because..
(3)

Tonight, fried egg sandwiches because I’ve been working on the Redwoods and time got away from me.
cwillie, if you can master a real San Francisco style sourdough you will be a very popular person indeed!
(2)

Apple cider donuts! Lol not for dinner but Apple season is here, in the Northeast.

There's nothing better than apple cider donuts!! 😁
(3)

Golden23, Turkey necks!
My grandmother used to fill her plate with the chicken necks and wing tips. She said it was because they had the best flavor but I suspect it was because she had 8 kids and those were the only parts left!
(3)

nacy - donut days are long gone for me but apple cider donuts sound good!

Psue - Turkey necks are browned first and covered with sauerkraut then baked till they fall apart, Apparently an old German recipe. I also add caraway seeds. Sig other R loves them. His mother and German grandmother (on father's side who added caraway) made them. I haven't been able to find a recipe online but figured it out, I like them too. They have good flavour.

Otherwise turkey necks are good for soup.
(3)

My loaf of bread looks pretty good! 🍞 It's soup and a sandwich today!🥪
(4)

Well done, cw. Enjoy!!!

Chili tonight - fall weather.
(0)

Cwillie, well, how was it?

nacy, a local nursery sells hot cider donuts every year and they are DIVINE! I must have one - only one - every year, or I will die of longing.

golden23, NOT a sauerkraut fan myself but it was a staple on my mom’s table when she was growing up. My husband’s too.
Just curious, do you make homemade egg noodles in ‘oxtail’ broth (which I’m pretty sure was just plain old cow tail)? How about what my grandma called ‘cornmeal mush’ sliced and fried in bacon grease? Swoon.
(0)

Dinner has arrived late, delivery from the market.
There was a long delay, so I started cancelling the $104.00 order down to $39.00.

Deli fried chicken with hot potato wedges.

Wait, that wasn't them, where is dinner?
(3)

Psue - I am gluten and dairy allergic so my food choices are limited. Can't eat high fodmaps foods either and I eat low carb or I gain weight rapidly. I could win a contest for weight gain. So no noodles, home made or otherwise. My mother was Norwegian so the German foods are foreign to me, but sauerkraut and turkey neck seemed easy and they are foods I can eat. I do like a good oxtail soup. Never had fried cornmeal mush. Sort of sounds like the Scottish fried porridge. They used to have a porridge drawer in the kitchen Left overs were tipped into the drawer to "set" then later pieces were sliced off and fried, Never had it, but heard about it. Come to think of it polenta is cornmeal and you can fry it. I've had that.

send - hope you got your dinner finally.
(2)

Golden - that’s a lot to deal with, food wise. It must take up a lot of your time but it sounds like you are very good at knowing and preparing what keeps you healthy. Bravo!
Never heard of the Scottish porridge thing but I am interested in food traditions and know that many of them are cross-cultural. All grandma’s leftovers went into the ‘slop’ bowl for the animals so there was absolutely no waste whatsoever, even when the picky grandkids were around. As I get older I spend more time thinking about these things!
(1)

Psue - Hippocrates: “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” is my belief.

Re porridge/oatmeal, Samuel Johnson wrote that oats were "a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people".

Unfortunately, I am allergic to oats as well.

I know the gluten and dairy allergy stuff pretty well, though when I moved down here last October I spent hours online checking out foods for dairy and gluten content in the grocery stores here. Dairy free or vegan does not mean it's not contaminated with dairy, as I found out after a few nasty allergy hits. Many foods are contaminated.

The fodmaps issue is new but not that hard to figure out. There is still a lot of good food to eat! But I have had to say good bye to apples and asparagus for now anyway. D@rn it!!!

It's fine now, but if I ever need to go into an ALF or a NH is may be a nightmare.

R (sig other) is from a farming background and he has the same "waste nothing" practice. His mum and dad raised 5 boys on a dairy farm so they always had plenty of milk, and cream. They picked wild berries, and even wild horseradish I just heard - so strong you couldn't eat it. His mum was a good cook (what mother isn't to her children?) and baked pies, made perogies etc. I don't because it's too high carb and calorie wise and baking with wheat flour sets off my allergies. I did bake back in the day when the kids were small and before I knew what my allergies were. R watches his sugars and carbs in general as do I, though he is as lean as he always was. I wish!!!

Times change and with it eating habits. So many people eat/order out fairly often. I can't cotton on to that. We grew up with cooking from scratch and a meal out once or twice a year for a special occasions. I enjoy cooking from scratch and trying new things, but a break once in a while is very welcome.

With my Norwegian background I will eat fish any time of day - sardines for breakfast anyone? lol

As we get older I think memories are more and more important and enjoyable. They are for me anyway.
(3)

Golden, I will happily join you for sardines for breakfast, as long as I can have a fresh sliced cucumber with it. Mmmmm!
(1)

ITRR - awesome - cucumbers work very well with fish!
(1)

Oh, I so agree Golden. I love sweet onions with fish too.

My favorite picnic includes sardines, cucumber, sweet onions red, orange, yellow and green peppers and (I know you can not partake) rosemary and olive oil triscuits and habanero cheese. Paint me happy when I am in nature looking forward to lunch :-) watermelon for desert just finishes everything nicely.
(2)

Your picnic sounds lovely ITRR, but, uh, no sardines for me please.
(2)

Golden, I’ve been looking into fodmaps for my mom’s GI issues. Thank goodness my DH and I have been lucky in the food sensitivity department….other than the calories in /calories out issue, for me anyway.
Tonight, tuna casserole with tuna my BIL caught and canned. Absolutely ruined me for anything from the grocery store.
Also Brussels sprouts, baby mushrooms and a touch of sherry baked right in.
Lots of time to cook today because it rained last night and the slope to the redwood trees is slippery. Slippery slope + mini-chainsaw = NOT a good combination.

cwillie, I’m with you on the sardines.
(0)

Psue, my mouth is watering at fresh caught, canned tuna.

The only problem with having the very best of any fresh food, it runs out :-( then we have to wait for more or settle.
(0)

Cwillie, then I will have some lovely roast beef for your protein or maybe some roast chicken, you too psue.
(1)

Mexican tortilla soup that the boyfriend made
Gluten free chocolate chip cookies that he also made for me
(1)

Brandy, that sounds yummy 😋
(0)

So...I'm looking for some easy fast prep meals that I can do for just me and my husband. For years I prepared meals for us and my parents several times a week. Somedays there would be other family present. Long story short, now that my parents are gone, I find that I don't want to cook anything anymore! I'm still caring for my mother who's in a AL facility and admit to being burnt out on doing much of anything these days. My husband has been great at picking up meals or fixing his own supper but I've started to feel guilty that he is missing out on homecooked meals. Unfortunately, he isn't fond of casseroles and doesn't care for leftovers. Cooking for 2 people doesn't excite me. Actually, eating doesn't excite me. Any simple 'meat and potato' recipes I could plan ahead or prepare with minimal effort would be appreciated. Blessings to all.
(1)

Good question, I need some ideas too. Making meatloaf tonight, and then tomorrow will be leftovers or meatloaf sandwiches.

We do a lot of leftovers hear, and I like to make casseroles, makes life much easier. But a husband that doesn't like either, id probably tell him to figure it out. Lol

I made lasagna rolls last week that served 2 nights and one lunch.
(0)

I don't enjoy cooking anymore either MamaChar so I tend to look on line for sheet pan meals, one pot meals and slow cooker/instant pot meals that I can assemble when I'm most motivated and then just put in the oven/pot/slow cooker at the appropriate time. I find just planning a few menu ideas for the week and then having the all veggies prepped ahead can make a huge difference. Oh, and there's nothing wrong with using frozen or canned instead of cooking from scratch.
(2)

If you put the cheapest price of beef in a crock pot add McCormicks powder, au jus pouch, with water. Nothing is better! Oh it's so good!

I love my ninja air fryer, and grill. More expensive than others but well worth the price.

Put a few marinated pork chops on it and there great

Then I get out my rice cooker and steamer, put Jasmine rice in the bottom. And fresh broccoli on the top basket, 20 minutes later , mix it all together, add some butter and everything bagel seasoning, and dinner is done

Baber foods has uncooked stuffed chicken, they cook good too in the air fryer .

Or even the more expensive chicken pot pies.
(1)

Your dinner sounds easy, simple and yummy nacy.

I am definitely going to get some of that everything bagel or copycat some and try that on black rice with green onion. That use never hit my radar until your yummy dinner description. Thanx! :-)
(1)

Isthisreal, thanks, ya know I don't think I've ever had black rice. I will give it a try sometime!
(0)

I highly recommend trying it. It is more of a grain then jasmine, which is our fave white rice,

Takes longer to cook, I'm telling you because I could not find black rice with instructions for cooking and I learned through trial and error. Use the 2to1 ratio and it turns out delish. Plus, it's a super nutritious grain, win-win. Oh, great in cold salads too.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter